If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband makes these ingenious homefries by puréeing an onion with oil and using that as the coating—it's one of the top five reasons I married him! —Brittany
Food52 Review: WHO: One of the top 5 reasons Brittany married her husband was for his home fries (she is a smart woman!).
WHAT: Crisp-yet-tender home fries with a serious garlic punch—and no frying.
HOW: Purée half an onion with a whole head (yep!) of garlic, salt, paprika, and oil. Toss potato chunks in the oniony slush, then spread out on baking sheets and wait for the smell of frying potatoes.
WHY WE LOVE IT: There’s no risk of soggy or burnt potatoes (and no par-boiling, or hot oil, or precarious flipping). Instead, the potato cubes bake in the oven coated in an onion-garlic-oil purée that bakes into a crispy crust while infusing every potato with flavor. —The Editors
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
pounds red or yellow potatoes
medium onion (about 2 ounces)
cup frying oil (we use grapeseed)
1 to 2
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat your oven to 475° F.
- Wash your potatoes, then cut into approximately 1-inch chunks (peeling if desired).
- Place all remaining ingredients in a food processor, blender, or cup for use with an immersion blender. Purée.
- Toss potatoes with the onion mixture until thoroughly coated. You might have extra mix leftover if you used a large onion. Do not skimp on the coating; you want it *almost* too-wet looking.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet (or two). Make sure the potatoes are evenly spread so they cook uniformly; I've always found it easier to use 2 pans with fewer spuds each than to cram them all on one.
- Roast in the hot oven until deeply browned and smelling fragrant. I start checking for doneness around the 30-minute mark to ensure they don't burn. If you had to use two pans and put them on two racks, make sure to rotate after 20 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately with ketchup, or my favorite: a 30/30/30 mix of ketchup, mustard, and horseradish cream.
- Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique Contest Winner!