If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a totally unconventional but absolutely delicious recipe for a light and fluffy mac and cheese. A cross between a souffle and macaroni and cheese with the addition of pimento and breadcrumbs. The recipe comes from Clemantine Paddleford a recipe developer, cookbook author, pilot and flapper from the 1920's. I adapted this recipe keeping the basics but adding some of my own touches, —sdebrango
- 1 1/2 cups scalded whole milk
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs plus more for the top
- 2 cups grated cheese, I used cheddar, gruyere and St Andre use what you like and grate a little more cheddar and gruyere for the top
- 1 cup cooked macaroni
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1/4 cup diced pimento's
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Pre heat oven to 375 degree's
- Pour milk over bread crumbs, add cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese melts. Add macaroni. Combine and add beaten egg yolks, pimento, parsley, onion, salt and buttter. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the mixture. Note: I sprinkled the top of the mac and cheese with breadcrumbs and grated some cheddar and gruyere on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique