If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One little trick to make these waffles sweet in the diner-style way is to use a bit of malted milk powder. If you can't find it, you can use the same amount of sugar. Sour cream adds a nice tang and tenderness to the batter. —Posie Harwood
Makes 8 waffles
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (not coarse)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with the sugar and vanilla until frothy.
- Add the sour cream and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, salt, malted milk powder (or sub an additional tablespoon of sugar), baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until just combined.
- Add the milk and whisk until the batter is just combined but don't overmix--it's okay if it's a bit lumpy.
- Heat your waffle iron: Cook your waffles according to the instructions on your waffle maker.
- Serve hot! Or freeze them and reheat later -- YUM.