If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Porridge sweetened with pureed dates and a dose of vanilla, and topped with toasted nuts and jam. —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 14 oz can (full fat) coconut milk
- 6 cups water
- 2 (about 2" long) cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 mejool dates, pitted (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- toasted nuts and jam for serving
- Add rice, coconut milk, water, cinnamon sticks, and salt to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove approximately 1/2 cup boiling liquid and add it to a blender with the pitted dates. Blend until smooth, then return date mixture back to the pot, stirring well to mix.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring every once in a while until porridge is soft and thick, about 70-90 minutes. Stir in vanilla, and serve topped with nuts and your favorite jam.