If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple, but interesting and delicious salad which uses a range of fresh local vegetables, there are a lot of ingredients but none are hard to come by, feel free to substitute ingredients you think will go.
An impressive side dish to a dinner spread or serve as a stand alone vegetarian/ vegan meal. If doing this I would double the lentils to make it more substantial.
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 120 grams black lentils
- 1/2 bunch cavolo nero, washed
- 1/2 kohlrabi
- 1 small apple
- 20 grams mint
- 20 grams parsley
- zest & juice 1 lemon
- 75 milliliters olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 grams coriander
- 20 grams parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 150 milliliters olive oil
- salt to taste
- Pre heat your oven 200c and cut the cauliflower into florets, slicing the stems as well. Place in a roasting tray and coat with the melted coconut oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes until nicely browned.
- While the cauliflower is roasting prepare the rest of your ingredients. Boil the lentils with the bay leaves in plenty of water. Cook for 15-20 minutes until tender but still have bite. Drain, dress with a little oil and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking cut or tear the kale into bite size pieces. Choosing your self whether to use the stems. I find very fresh, young cavolo nero the leaves and stem are quite tender. Massage with a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of lemon. Thinly slice the kohlrabi. If you have a mandolin use this to make nice thin slices, do the same with your apple, dress both with lemon juice. Add to the kale along with the lentils, the cauliflower and rest of your ingredients and taste for seasoning.
- Some useful tips : - When making a salad like this I find it helps to either season and dress all the ingredients separately or at the end once everything is mixed. This will ensure they are all balanced and seasoned just right. - With the kale if it’s a little older or tougher the earlier you massage in the dressing the more tender it will become. This is a good leaf to take for lunch as it doesn’t become soggy like other salad leaves. - Adding lemon to the apple straight away is important to stop it oxidizing and turning brown.