If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I went on a trip to Oaxaca, Mexico and ate tostadas daily. When I returned home, I thought "why stop?". I made a massive jar of pickled vegetables, smashed some pre-hard boiled eggs into my guacamole and topped it off with some cotija cheese and hot sauce. A perfect recipe for summer that is easy to make and can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner. —Megan Field
Makes 6 tostadas
Escabeche (spicy pickled vegetables)
- 2 large radishes (or 4 small), thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
Avocado Egg Salad Tostadas
- 6 tostadas
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 eggs, hard boiled + diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed/minced
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 - 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, depending on desired thickness
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, depending on taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese (goat or feta work too)
- splashes hot sauce, to top
- To make escabeche: Add sliced vegetables, garlic cloves, peppercorns and coriander seeds to one large jar/container or 2 smaller jars. Add water, vinegar, salt and honey to a medium pot and bring to a simmer. Mix with a spoon to ensure honey is completely dissolved. Pour into jar(s) over vegetables. Let cool for an hour. Seal and refrigerate, you can use them in one hour but it's better to make them a day or two before. Will keep for up to three weeks in the fridge.
- In a medium bowl add avocado, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, green onions, cumin, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add diced eggs to avocado mixture. Mash/mix together with fork.
- Layer avocado egg salad on to tostadas. Top with escabeche, cherry tomatoes, cotija cheese, salsa, hot sauce, and extra cilantro + lime squeezes if desired.