If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe that is packed with veggies but tastes like the most sinfully cheesy macaroni you have ever had. Using white or orange cauliflower will make it look like traditional mac and cheese, but use purple cauliflower to create a magical wonderland of fun on a plate for the kid in you. —pac10crazy
- 1 pound Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni Pasta
- 1 pound Purple Cauliflower
- 1.5 cups reduced fat- sour cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup 1% Milk
- 1 1/2 cups White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Multi Grain Bread Crumbs
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil elbow macaroni in large pot until tender, then remove pasta and strain while making sure to keep pasta water for later use. Remove cauliflower florets from the stem and roughly chop. Add cauliflower to the boiling pasta water and blanch for 3 minutes. Remove and strain cauliflower, then puree until cauliflower becomes smooth and chunk less in consistency.
- To make the bread crumb topping combine bread crumbs, half of the olive oil, parsley, parmesan, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Set aside to use later.
- Return the pasta pot to medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil. Add the onion and Salt and Pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add pureed cauliflower, whole wheat elbow macaroni, sour cream, white cheddar, milk, dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Add the entire mixture to a large pyrex baking dish. Spread mac and cheese mixture evenly around the pyrex, then top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 uncovered for 30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe