If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Really good vegan meatballs do not have to be expensive, hard to make, or filled with weird ingredients. These are made with eggplants, carrots, and a handful of other things you probably already have in your kitchen. —AnnieCate
- 1 3/4 pounds eggplant
- 1 pound carrots
- 1/3 cup rough chopped purple onion
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the eggplant into 8ths lengthwise. Sprinkle salt all over and let it sit for 1/2 hour. Pierce flesh all over with a fork, and then nuke it for 5 minutes. Let it cool for a sec, and then pat off the excess salt and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine the eggplant with the remaining vegan meatball ingredients in a blender. Pulse it so that you get a chunky, not smooth consistency
- Scoop big fat heaping tablespoons of the vegan meatball mix and form into balls. You should end up with about 20. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 450. Remove from heat.
Sauce and Noodles
- 30 ounces grape tomatoes
- 1 cup heaping rough chopped white onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 big fat garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baharat
- 1 teaspoon scant serrano pepper slices
- salt to taste
- gluten free spaghetti
- Break the spaghetti up into thirds. Place in a deep, wide skillet over medium heat (no water yet!) and toast them, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes. They should darken somewhat. Add water to the skillet and cook to al dente.
- Drain, add a drizzle of oil to prevent sticking, and set aside. Give the skillet a quick wipe down.
- To make the sauce, place all the tomatoes in the skillet over medium heat. Smash them up with a flat-bottom cup. Start your timer now. Add the onion, thyme, bay, garlic, baharat, and serrano. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 10 - 15 more minutes.
- Pile up the not-fideos, sauce, and vegan meatballs in serving bowls. Dish out with lots of love. Serves 3-4.