Author Notes: I baked this for this mother's day. I wanted to make something special that represents my Mom. We are four siblings, so I decided to make this round challah with 4 ropes topped with 4 different seeds. It shows the bond we have amongst us that is created by my Mom's love.
The round shape shows her arms around us.
I am so in live with the book 'Breaking breads; by Uri Scheft. I am planning to make many recipes as a part of the Food52 Baking club as well. —Anagha
Makes: 2 round loaves
grams room temperature water
grams All purpose flour sifted
grams Granulated sugar
grams Active powdered yeast
- In a stand mixer, add water and yeast, whisk it till combined.Add flour, eggs, sugar and salt
- Mix the dough on low speed till the ingredients are combined. Stop and sracpe the flour if needed to avoid dry flour patches. It should take about 2 mins for the dough to come together
- Now increase the speed and knead the dough on medium for about 4 minutes.
- Take the dough on a lightly floured surface and strech and fold until the dough surface it all smooth
- Rest the dough for about 45 mins. It should be about 70% risen
- Shape the dough: Shaping the dough-Today I am going to shape it in a circle with 4 ropes, representing my Mom’s four kids. Take the risen dough and gently put it on a floured board. Make it into a rectangle, make sure you do not deflate the dough Cut the rectangle into 2 pieces. Keep one piece aside. With one half of the rectangle, make four parts. Roll each part into a 14 inch cylinder Weave the four ropes as I call them into a round
- Cover and let it proof for at least 40 mins. To check if the dough has risen enough , when you press the dough surface with your finger, the indentation should fill up about 1/2 way. If your dough is not risen, the indentation wont fill, if its over risen, it will fill up to fast
- Heat the oven to 425 F
- Mix 1 egg, 1 tbsp water and salt to make the egg wash
- Decorating Now comes the fun part, decorating the challah Brush with challah with egg-wash Sprinkle with seeds of your choice.
- Bake at 425 F for about 25-30 mins Serve with butter & honey. I served it with a Apple -Honey Jam