Source: Jean Adamson, owner of Vinegar Hill House in Brooklyn.
Jean’s secret for making the best oats? Christine and Rob’s
If you have the time, make a large batch of the infused almond milk by heating 2 cardamom pods (not crushed), ½ bay leaf (fresh is best), and the 2 cups of almond milk. Let steep for 1 hour. If you don’t have time to make this ahead, proceed with recipe as written below.
Recipe doubles well.
If you don’t care about keeping this vegan, you could use cow’s milk in place of the almond milk and butter in place of the coconut oil. —Alexandra Stafford
- Serves 2 generously
unsweetened almond milk, divided, see notes above
cardamom pod, crushed with the flat side of a knife
a bay leaf, fresh is best
quinoa, red is nice for color
rolled oats, extra-thick if you can find them, see notes above
kosher salt, plust more to taste
toasted coconut, toasted almonds, fresh berries such as strawberries and blueberries, for garnish
- Place 1 cup of the almond milk, the lightly crushed cardamom pod, and the 1/2 bay leaf in a small pot. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and keep warm.
- In a medium pot, combine the quinoa with 1 cup of water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand covered.
- In another medium pot, combine the oats, remaining 1 cup almond milk, ¼ cup water, coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low and cook until oats are tender, about 10 minutes. Taste. Add more salt to taste if necessary.
- Add ½ cup of the cooked quinoa to the oats along with ½ cup of the infused almond milk, taking care to leave the bay leaf and cardamom pod (and any seeds) behind. Stir to combine. Taste. Add more salt if necessary. Add more quinoa to taste (or save extra quinoa in the fridge in an airtight container for porridge on a future morning).
- To serve, pour ¼ cup of the warm, cardamom-infused almond milk into each bowl. Spoon porridge over top. Top with toasted coconut, almonds, and berries if using.