A "twist" on pub pretzels. Super soft and oh so buttery. A simple recipe that will rock your world! —Amanda Nelson
- Makes 5
whole milk warmed
fast rising yeast
plus 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
unsalted butter melted
unsalted butter melted
2 1/2 cups
plus 1 tablespoon AP flour
Kosher salt to taste
In This Recipe
- Warm your milk either on the stove top or in the microwave. Luke warm, do not burn. In your large mixing bowl, combine the warm milk and the packet of yeast. Stir until mixed together and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt together.
- After the 5 minutes have passed, add the brown sugar, melted butter and half of the flour mixture to the milk and yeast. Stir until incorporated, avoid over mixing. Add the rest of the flour minus 1 tablespoon and mix until incorporated. Again, avoid over mixing. Form the dough into a ball, it should be pretty sticky. Sprinkle the last tablespoon of flour over the ball and continue to form the ball. This is just to make the dough less sticky. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, and let the dough rise for an hour.
- After the hour has passed, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. The spray just helps the parchment paper stick.
- Flour your hands and roll the dough ball onto a floured surface. Using your hands make the dough into a rectangle, roughly 1/2 inches thick and 8 inches by 11 inches. Using a knife, pizza cutter or what ever you can find that will work, cut 10 strips of dough and roll each into a rope. Try and keep it at the 8 inches.
- Taking two dough ropes, pinch the top of them together just enough to connect them and lay on the cookie sheet. Now twist them about 3 times and pinch them together at the bottom. Continue to do this with the rest of the dough. You should have 5 dough twists.
- Now put the water into a medium pot and warm up on the stove. Luke warm. Add the baking soda and stir. Dip each twist into the water until completely covered and wet, and lay back onto the cookie sheet. Once you have dipped all of the twists, sprinkle with the kosher salt.
- Put the dough into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Serve warm and watch everyone devour them! You can serve them with mustard, cheese, marinara, cream cheese, anything you’d like.