Author Notes: This recipe is simple and satisfying and an perfect for a casual dinner with friends or family or just your fabulous self. I often make this for family gatherings on weekend afternoons. The ease in effort allows me to spend more time with my loved but still host a wonderful meal. In the summer I love using fresh herbs from my garden for the marinade and dressing and grill the chicken outside in the backyard. Of course that is not a requirement, the recipe also works well with an indoor stove top grill. —Basil and Roses
tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
tablespoons fresh hyme (1 for chicken, 1 for dressing
cup olive oil (split for chicken and dressing)
2 lemons (split for chicken and dressing)
teaspoons Dijon mustard
cup chopped walnuts
salt + pepper
- Marinate chicken breasts in lemon juice, “good” olive oil (my inner Barefoot Contessa couldn’t help herself), rosemary, thyme, salt + pepper for 1 hour.
- Wash Kale thoroughly. Drain and pat dry. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Using your loving hands, message the olive oil into the Kale.
- It may seem strange but a 5 minute spa treatment can do wonders for this nutritious green. You’ll be amazed to see how the gentle rubdown will transform the kale from a tough and bitter leaf to sweet silky sensation.
- If you practiced your mindfulness for the day, you’ll notice a change in darkening of color and texture as you message your soon to be delicious salad.
- Maybe someone else has melted and turned sweet into your hands before, but if not Kale will not disappoint. Anywho, this is how you make eating raw Kale a more pleasant experience. Don’t forget to remove the tough stems and only message the leafy part.
- In a separate bowl for the dressing: Whisk together half of the olive oil, Dijon mustard, juice of 1 lemon, salt + pepper and thyme.
- This simply elegant dressing will compliment the chicken well.
- Drizzle the oil into the rest of the ingredients as you whisk. Don’t add all of it at once.
- Add the walnuts to your salad and voila! This elegant and delicious salad is done!
- Grill chicken breasts on a stove top grill or outdoor grill and serve right on top of the salad.