Author Notes: Nicknamed “The Bomb” by those who have had them these Cheesy Sticks are perfect road trip, street walking and/or street fair munching type of food; excellent picnic or party fare served alongside the salads, and btw, we’ve found these to be an excellent trick of a treat for Halloween, as well.
I originally tasted a similar cheesy stick years ago at a tiny drive by neighborhood store. A few dozen were made per day, the customers were known to reserve orders and even drive out of their way to take a chance on buying what might be left!
The little store closed and needing my cheesy fix I was inspired to modify a favorite roll recipe; after testing my idea many times over I have found these to be a definite crowd pleaser however they are served.
Makes: 8 cheesy sticks 8-10 inches long or cut that length in half to get 16 sticks 4-5 inches long. this recipe can easily be doubled.
9 oz (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) bread flour – plus 1/4 cup for kneading
1 packet rapid rise yeast
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon diastatic malt powder (or sugar)
3 ozs. warm water (6 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon safflower oil
2 tablespoons egg substitute – plus 2-3 extra tablespoons to adhere cheese to the sticks
1-1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella (whole milk is best for this recipe)
Note: or use a mixture of Mozzarella and Cheddar
1/2 cup micro-plane grated Pecorino
2-3 tablespoons egg substitute to help adhere cheese to the sticks
Buttery cooking spray
- THE DOUGH: In a work bowl with a dough hook, add bread flour, yeast, salt and malt powder, mix together. In a 2 cup measure with spout, add water, oil and the egg substitute. With the machine turned on, drizzle in the water mixture. Process until a ball forms and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes total. Cover and let dough rise until nearly double in size, about and hour.
- THE STICKS: Mix the cheeses together in a bowl – set aside.
- On a cookie sheet with a rim, pour 2-3 tablespoons egg substitute, add one cup of the cheese mixture and set aside. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Punch the risen dough, knead into a ball, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-10 inch long rope.
- Place the dough ropes onto the egg substitute/cheese mixture and coat.
- Transfer the sticks to a flat cookie sheet coated with buttery cooking spray. Coat the top of each piece with the remaining cheese, and gather it around the edges.
- Lightly spray the cheese sticks with butter spray, cover with plastic wrap. Let rise 45 minutes to an hour.
- Bake 11-to 12 minutes – or until golden.
- Take out of the oven and lightly spray each stick with butter spray again. Place on a cooling rack ASAP – before the cheese starts sticking to the pan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Halloween Treat