If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Yes these are vegan and "good for you," but let's be honest, the real motivation behind making these is because they're ridiculously easy and taste incredible.
When you're struggling to roll out of bed on a Sunday morning, you're in need of the Holy Trinity of breakfast foods: Simple to make, good and good for you. May these "cookies" (for lack of a better word) be your salvation 🙏
Seriously though, at it's simplest, these cookies need two ingredients: bananas and oats. Mix those two together, pop them in the oven, et voilà, breakfast is served in under 15 minutes. This recipe is my attempt to elevate this simple base into a classy and impressive breakfast dish that's prepared with virtually the same level of ease. I hope you enjoy and are inspired to create your own delicious variations - just be sure to share and inspire me with your creations 🤗 —Eric Stein
Makes: 6 cookies
Bananas, the riper the better
Lemon, zested and juiced (1/2 - 1 tbs)
teaspoon Baking powder
cup Chia seeds
1 - 2
sprig Basil, chopped (~5 - 7 leaves + a few reserved)
splash Maple syrup, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Cut up the bananas into a bowl and mash with the back of a fork. (I like to leave a few larger chunks of banana to create some contrast when you bite into the cookie 😋 ) Add all ingredients, except for the oats, into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the oats little-by-little until it reaches a banana-oat ratio that you're happy with and stir everything together.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place six spoonfuls of the "batter" on the sheet, shaping each one into a nicely formed circle with the back of your spoon. (If you have a mold and are a strict perfectionist, now's the time to break it out 🤓 )
- Place in the oven until golden brown and crispy on the top and bottom, but still soft and gooey in the middle, which should take about 10 minutes. (Check back frequently! You won't want to risk burning them 👨🚒 )
- Remove from the baking sheet, drizzle with some maple syrup, and garnish each cookie with a basil leaf. Happy devouring! 🙃