If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We’ve just come back from Thailand and Cambodia after an incredible trip and culinary adventure. One thing I fell in love with, was this coconut ice cream from a street vendor in Bangkok. A scooped out coconut shell filled with fresh young coconut, coconut ice cream and topped with toasted peanuts, coconut tropical heaven! One thing is certain, the Thai’s definitely know how to treat a coconut right.
Another eating obsession (one of the many) was fresh tropical fruits, soo sweet and delicious! I always gorge on fruits when I’m in warm countries, it’s like night and day compared to the occasionally sweet fruit you get here. But, I do love pineapple, even in London. So I’ve served the ice cream with roasted pineapple, inspired by Ottolenghi’s recipe in his book ‘Nopi’. The coconut ice cream is quite different in terms of ingredients, this has just 5, it’s all plant based and all about the coconut. I also used kaffir lime leaves to infuse a brown rice syrup rather than the spices with sugar.
Kaffir lime syrup
grams brown rice syrup
fresh kaffir lime leaves
Kaffir lime coconut ice cream
grams coconut milk
grams coconut oil
grams infused rice syrup
- To make the infused sugar syrup gently heat brown rice syrup in a pan, keep on a low heat for 20 minutes, turn off and let sit for 2 hours to infuse.
- Blend ingredients together for the ice cream (excluding the pineapple), chill and churn according to manufacturer guidelines.
- If you don't have an ice cream machine, place in the freezer in a covered container, take out and blend 3-4 times throughout the first few hours of freezing.
- Roast pineapple:
- Pre heat over 220c. Peel and core your pineapple, cut into eighths and quarter each slice. Place in a lined roasting tray. Drizzle over 4 tablespoons of the syrup.
- Roast for 30 minutes until soft and beginning to caramalise.
- To serve. Scoop the coconut ice cream into bowls, top with roast pineapple and a spoonful of the syrup and enjoy.