If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We’ve just come back from Thailand and Cambodia after an incredible trip and culinary adventure. One thing I fell in love with, was this coconut ice cream from a street vendor in Bangkok. A scooped out coconut shell filled with fresh young coconut, coconut ice cream and topped with toasted peanuts, coconut tropical heaven! One thing is certain, the Thai’s definitely know how to treat a coconut right.
Another eating obsession (one of the many) was fresh tropical fruits, soo sweet and delicious! I always gorge on fruits when I’m in warm countries, it’s like night and day compared to the occasionally sweet fruit you get here. But, I do love pineapple, even in London. So I’ve served the ice cream with roasted pineapple, inspired by Ottolenghi’s recipe in his book ‘Nopi’. The coconut ice cream is quite different in terms of ingredients, this has just 5, it’s all plant based and all about the coconut. I also used kaffir lime leaves to infuse a brown rice syrup rather than the spices with sugar.
Kaffir lime syrup
- 350 grams brown rice syrup
- 10 fresh kaffir lime leaves
Kaffir lime coconut ice cream
- 400 grams coconut milk
- 50 grams coconut oil
- 100 grams infused rice syrup
- pinches salt
- Blend ingredients together, chill and churn according to manufacturer guidelines.
- If you don't have an ice cream machine, place in the freezer in a covered container, take out and blend 3-4 times throughout the first few hours of freezing.
- Roast pineapple
- Pre heat over 220c.
- Peel and core your pineapple, cut into eighths, quarter and slice each quarter in half. Place in a lined roasting tray. Drizzle over 4 tablespoons of the syrup, and scatter a few kaffir lime leaves .
- Roast for 30 minutes until soft and beginning to caramalise.
- To serve. Scoop the coconut ice cream into bowls, top with roast pineapple and a spoonful of the syrup and enjoy.