If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kunafa is an Arabic dessert, which is popular in Egypt & Levant. Kunafa’s origins can be traced to two different caliphates, in the Umayyad Levant under Muawiyah I and in Fatimid Egypt under Khalifa Abdel-Malek Bin Marawan. In both the stories, Kunafa is prescribed by doctors in order to satisfy the hunger during Ramadan. It was supposed to be consumed at Suhur so as to survive the fasting through out the day, there are many stories on Kunafa/ Kanefa.
Kunafa is traditionally made with Kataifi which is a pastry dough & milk cream, baked to a deliciously non-resistant dessert. These days it has been modernised & different variants are available in the Pastry shops. They can be flattened & baked to a big cake filled with cheese cream or can be rolled up with dry fruits, but one thing is common in all the variants, sugar syrup. Rose sugar syrup is poured on the crispy layers of golden baked vermicelli topped with dry fruits is a delight for the eyes.
Today I would be sharing Kunafa recipe with some twists as it’s my version, I have used fine ready made vermicelli for the top & bottom layering. For filling I would be making a thick filling with Cottage cheese, milkmaid, flour and corn flour. For me there is no compromise with health, so I would be adding sugar free instead of sugar in the Mango cream filling. Instead of sugar syrup I would be pouring honey with rosewater. —Monika Patel
For layering & Honey Syrup
- 100 grams Thin vermicelli (Readymade) Or Kaitiafi
- 30 grams Butter (Melted)
- 1 cup Water
- 3-4 tablespoons Sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons Honey
- 3-4 drops Rose water
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Break the vermicelli with fingers in a large bowl adding butter to it.
- Now grease 6 muffin moulds, always grease upward (I used silicon mold as its easy to demold).
- Pre – heat the oven on 200 degrees.
- Now mix water sugar, honey, rose water and lemon juice and boil for 10-15 mins, till you get a syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Full cream milk
- 1 cup Mango Puree (Alfanzo)
- 50 grams Cottage cheese (Paneer)
- 1/4 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 tablespoon All purpose flour (Maida)
- 2-3 tablespoons Sugar free (You can use the same amount of white sugar)
- 3-4 drops Kewra
- 1/4 cup ¼ cup dry fruits or more for garnish(Almond + Pistachio roasted in butter)
- Take a deep sauce panand pour milk into it,
- Now mix corn flour, custard powder & maida with some cold water Mix well till there are no lumps in the mixture
- Top the remaining vermicelli over the mixture lightly, don’t press the vermicelli too much.
- Now bake for 45-50 mins or till the the top layer of vermicelli becomes golden
- Now pour the honey syrup and top it with roasted dry fruits, serve the way you want