Author Notes: These blini can be made in any size, depending on your intended use. Little, bite size blini (like the ones in this photo), are great for party snacks. Medium, saucer-sized blini can make a greated plated appetizer, and full pancake size blini can be served as an entrée. —Erin McDowell
Makes: 8-10 servings as an appetizer
cups whole milk
cup all purpose flour
cup buckwheat flour
teaspoon instant active dry yeast
tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- In a small pot, warm the milk over low heat until just warm to the touch, 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flours, yeast, and salt together to combine. In another medium bowl, mix the milk, eggs, and melted butter to combine.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk well to combine. Whisk until there are no visible lumps.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- To cook the blinis, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Working in batches, make the blini. To make bite sized blini, scoop circles of batter (about 1 heaping tablespoon each) into the pan and cook until golden brown on each side, 1-2 minutes per side. To make saucer sized blini, scoop circles of batter (about 1/3 heaping cup each) into the pan and cook until golden brown on each side, 2-3 minutes per side. To make entrée sized blini, scoop circles of batter (about 2/3 heaping cup each) into the pan and cook until golden brown on each side, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the finished blini to a cooling rack to cool. You can cool the blini completely, or just slightly, depending on your preference.
- The blini are ready to serve immediately, or they can be frozen for up to 1 month. Arrange the blini in a single layer on a piece of parchment paper, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap - store in a plastic zip-top bag for up to 1 month. Re-warm the frozen blini in a 300°F on a rack on a baking sheet for 7-9 minutes until lightly re-crisped.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: