Author Notes: In Istanbul, spring has brought mountains of bright red strawberries and dark purple mulberries to the farmers market. It is time to make a fresh fruit galette with these beauties.. —Piper Nigrum (GamzE)
grams cold butter
milliliters cold water
tablespoon orange zest
tablespoon flaked hazelnuts or almonds
- Preheat oven to 190 C° Place a baking tray inside and heat.
- Pulse sugar, flour,salt and cubed cold butter in a food processor until it forms a yellow sandy texture. (1-2 minute) Add cold water and pulse to combine. (1 minute) On a lightly floured surface combine the dough and form a disk, wrap in a cling film and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut strawberries in half , add sugar ,orange zest and corn starch and mix. Roll out pastry 4-5mm thick on a lightly floured surface smooth out any creases.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Set berries in the middle leaving 3cm around the sides.(leave the juices in the bowl) Sprinkle lightly with sugar.Fold over edges of pastry to make a 2cm border around all sides. (Chill dough in the freezer for a few minutes if it becomes too soft to work with.)
- Brush the sides with eggwash. Sprinkle sugar and flaked hazelnuts and transfer sheet on the baking tray in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden brown and puffed. Remove baking sheet after 10 minutes and turn the galette for an even bake.