If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’ve been meaning to share my French toast recipe with you for months and thought that now might be the perfect time with Bastille Day approaching. I came up with the perfect recipe by accident, too. I had been testing ingredients that could replace miso paste in recipes and after having some luck with tahini, I started thinking of where else tahini could be used as an ingredient or a binding agent. Voilà – as the French say – the best gluten-free vegan and soy-free French toast was born. —Alannah | Kale Mary
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- Coconut oil, for pan frying
- As many slices of your favourite gluten-free vegan bread
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Tahini, to serve
- In a shallow dish mix brown rice flour with tahini, maple syrup, vanilla, turmeric and water until combined.
- Add slices of bread and allow them to sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid before turning the slices over to allow the other side to soak.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the soaked bread to your pan. Do this in batches to avoid overcrowding in the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes then flip and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup and tahini.