If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Most commercial sauces and marinades are quite high in sodium so I like to make my own. This is my version of an easy Latin classic that is good on chicken and pork as well as beef. This marinates a steak for 4 people or so, or about 1 cut up chicken. I like to use flank steak (or even hangar or skirt) for this and then slice it to put into tortillas and serve with avocado, black beans, rice, cheese, diced tomatoes, lettuce, etc. While the meat is on the grill, use one of those nifty new grill skillets to make a side dish of grilled onions, peppers and mushrooms. This can double, and even triple, well. —healthierkitchen
juice of 1/2
juice of 1
lime (if it's a particularly dry one, use an extra half)
tablespoons olive oil
clove garlic, minced
chipotle chile in adobo sauce (just one chile, not one can!), diced with a little of the sauce
tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
teaspoon cumin powder
pinch or two of
1.5 - 2 pound
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and use to marinate the steak. You can put the meat into the marinade before leaving for work and throw the steak on the grill when you get home. I like to let it sit in the marinade at least 3 - 4 hours (in the refrigerator). Take the steak out of the refrigerator about half an hour before you want to cook it to let it lose some of the chill.
- Sear flank steak on grill over direct heat, about 2 - 3 minutes on each side, depending on your grill, then move to indirect heat and finish cooking to your liking. Time will depend on the type of grill, thickness of meat, and whether it's grassfed or not. Let rest about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, avocado slices or guacamole, beans and rice, lettuce, onions, peppers, etc. In the alternative, it's also great with sides of corn, tomato salad, and/or potato salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Flank Steak
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Now and Later