If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have made stuffed peppers for years, seemingly a little different each time according to my mood. Using mixtures of wild grain rices was always a part of these recipes, so moving over to riced cauliflower for the low carb version was a no-brainer. It also lightens the meal considerably. This recipe is more or less the one I have settled into making. —Brian Coppola
Makes 8 servings
- 4 red bell peppers, halved and cleaned
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage
- 2 large sweet (Vidalia) onions, diced large
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons diced roasted garlic in oil
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- 4 cups pasta sauce of your choice
- Use a large enough pan (or wok) to handle everything and you only need the one for cooking and a pan for baking.
- Break up and brown the sausage about half-way, then add the onion; continue to brown and cook until desired.
- Combine in the garlic and herbs. Heat to aromatic.
- Add the cauliflower. Mix well.
- Mix in the tomato paste. Add more herbs if desired.
- Remove from heat and mix in the parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes at 350F. Top each with mozzarella and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with some of the sauce; sprinkle with some shredded cheese and herbs.