If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This North African vegetable relish cooks tomatoes, bell peppers, and eggplants together to make a jammy, flavorful spread that is perfect served on top of roasted chicken, fish, meat, or veggies. It tastes equally great served as part of a mezze selection, alongside grilled pita for dipping. —Leah Koenig
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups peeled, 1/2-inch eggplant cubes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the red onion, eggplant, red bell peppers, jalapeño, sugar, and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, onion powder, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, and a generous amount of black pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer; reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered and stirring often, until mixture thickens and the vegetables grow very tender and the mixture thickens, 10 to 15 minutes. A few times during the cooking process, mash the vegetables a bit with a potato masher or the back of a spoon. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if desired. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature before serving.