Author Notes: Pesto is a sauce that originates from Genoa in Northern Italy made with basil, pine nuts, garlic and two typical Italian cheeses. Here is my recipe using the tradition method of mortar-pestle. —Mitanti Ghosh Sarkar
sprig Basil Leaves
tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (cold pressed)
grams Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
grams Pecorino Pepato
grams Roasted Pine nuts
- Take the garlic in a mortar and crush it with the help of a wooden pestle.
- When the garlic is crushed, add the basil leaves and slightly crush them.
- Add the pine nuts, crush them and incorporate them nicely into the mixture.
- Slowly add 1 tablespoon of oil and mix it with the paste by turning the pestle in a circular motion.
- Add the salt and mix it well using the pestle.