Author Notes: This sauce is perfect to have on hand for quick weeknight dinners. Make a double or even triple batch and keep some in the freezer and fridge at all times. —Lindsay Howerton-Hastings
Makes: about 4 cups
tablespoons olive oil
medium onion, finely diced
cloves garlic, minced
ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- This recipe originally appeared at http://funnyloveblog.com/2017/09/05/basic-marinara-sauce/
- Add the olive oil and onion to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook while stirring for about 5 minutes until the onion softens but doesn’t brown.
- Add the garlic and salt and stir for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the sugar, tomatoes, and water. Stir every few minutes while the sauce comes to a simmer.
- Simmer the sauce for 15-20 minutes until reduced and thickened. Taste as you go and add more sugar and salt to your preference. Use as you’d like. Enjoy!