Author Notes: This is a simple homemade jam made with plums (called confiture de prunes in French and very popular in the households of France). The recipe follows the method commonly used in France to make most fruit jams. The ideal season for plums is from August to October and you can convert them to jam in late summer to enjoy it through the fall. —Mitanti Ghosh Sarkar
Makes: 370 grams
cup Brown sugar
sprigs Fresh rosemary
- Cut the plums into half and discard the seeds.
- Take them in a deep bottomed pan and add 1 cup of water.
- Add 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- After about 3 minutes when it starts to boil, add 1 star anise.
- After about 10 minutes when it attains a sauce like texture, discard the rosemary and star anise.
- Turn off the heat.
- When the jam has stopped bubbling, add the gelatin to the pan.
- Remove the jam and store it in a glass container. The jam will coagulate completely after about 24 hours in the fridge.