If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Caramelized Fennel Pasta with Sausage topped with ground pepper —Vicky | Things I Made Today
- 16 ounces rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Italian sausages
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sized fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add rigatoni and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving about ½-3/4 cup cooking liquid. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until outside browns and inside is done, about 6-10 minutes. Transfer to cutting board. Once slightly cooled, slice into ½-1 inch pieces on the diagonal.
- Turn heat down a bit and add butter. Once butter has melted, stir in fennel and salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the fennel starts to brown. Add in shallot and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Next, stir in lemon juice and white wine vinegar, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and add sliced sausage back into saucepan. Add in pasta, a ¼ cup of reserved pasta water, Parmesan cheese, and thyme. Stir well to make sure everything is nicely coated. If pasta looks too dry, add an additional ¼ cup pasta water and continue to stir and cook. Adjust salt to taste and top with freshly ground black pepper before serving.