Author Notes: This ellu mithai recipe is usually made during festivals like vinayagar Chaturthi and Krishna Jayanthi —Ranjani
Sesame seeds – 1 cup
Jaggery – ½ cup to ¾ cup
Water – ¼ cup
Rice flour – 1 tbsp. (to dust hands for making sesame balls) (optional)
In This Recipe
- 1. Heat a kadai, dry roast sesame seeds till nice aroma comes and ellu starts popping.
- 2. Remove the kadai from heat, place them on a plate to cool down.
- 3. In a sauce pan, add ¾ cup of Jaggery and ¼ cup of water. Heat until the Jaggery dissolves.
- 4. Strain the syrup to remove impurities.
- 5. Again heat it, till it reaches single string consistency.
- syrup and mix well. 7. Start making balls while it is hot. Otherwise, it won’t come as balls.
- 8. If your hand can’t resist the heat, dust your hands with rice flour and start making balls.
- 9. Place all urundai in the plate until it cools completely.
- 10. Then store in airtight container.