If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Simple Greek comfort food comes to the table..... —inpatskitchen
Makes about 3 quarts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano (preferably Greek)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- Grated Kefalotyri or Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a 4 quart soup pot and add the diced onion. Saute for a few minutes and then add the minced garlic and oregano. Continue to sauté until the garlic smells fragrant.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the broth or water and bring up to a boil. Stir in the orzo and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often so the orzo doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. Serve nice and hot in bowls garnished with the cheese if you like.
- NOTE: If re-heating you may need to add a little extra broth or water as the orzo soaks up so much liquid.