Author Notes: Serving this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup in roasted squash bowls makes for a fun and fabulous presentation. —Sydne George
pounds butternut squash
cups chicken stock
teaspoon ground coriander
teaspoon sea salt
cup half and half
ounces package frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
bunch sage sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and set on a baking sheet.
- Combine molasses and vinegar and brush over squash, being careful not to drip onto pan.
- Bake squash in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, until tender.
- Let cool.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop roasted squash into blender.
- Add chicken stock, coriander and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Pour squash mixture into saucepan and add half and half, stirring to combine. Heat over medium heat.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves and caramelized pearl onions.
- For Caramelized Onions: In a medium heavy saucepan, melt 1 cup sugar over medium high heat.
- Add enough pearl onions to cover the melted sugar (about 1 cup).
- Stir to coat and continue cooking until amber colored.
- Transfer caramelized onions to waxed paper to cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash