If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easy peasy, moist, cream scones riddled with the tart sweetness of plump, ripe raspberries and strewn with toasty almond goodness. —TheLastWonton
FOR THE SCONES
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream) mixed with 1 tablespoon Amaretto or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Extra 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream, for brushing on scones
FOR THE ALMOND GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream, or milk
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, for garnish
- Directions: Preheat oven to 325F. Spread the combined 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup sliced almonds evenly on baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until toasty golden. Let cool.
- Turn oven up to preheat to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add cubed butter and mix, mix, squish, squish, with hands, until butter is incorporated into dry ingredients, with just a few little butter lumps left. Pour the mixture of 1 cup heavy cream with the Amaretto or almond extract over the ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until dough forms. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in raspberries and 1/3 cup toasted, sliced almonds. Some of the raspberries will get a little smashed, but that's all good.
- Transfer dough to a floured countertop and knead and form dough, gently, with hands to form a ball. Now pat the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut the scones into 8 even triangles (pie shaped slices). Transfer dough to a floured countertop and knead and form dough, gently, with hands to form a ball. Now pat the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut the scones into 8 even triangles (pie shaped slices).
- Place the scones on prepared baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush tops lightly with the additional heavy cream.
- Bake scones for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown and cooked through. Cool scones.
- While scones are cooling, make the almond glaze. In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, 5 tablespoons heavy cream or milk, and Amaretto or almond extract. Whisk, whisk, until desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over the scones. Top with additional toasted almond slices. Serve, with a smile!
- **Many thanks to Two Peas & Their Pod food blog for delicious inspiration to bake up this recipe**