If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A light, spiced, and moist apple cake topped with a savory caramel sauce spiked with miso, one of my favorite ingredients. The miso caramel recipe is from Food52's theminx! Don't worry, there will be leftover caramel to drizzle over your ice cream. —Annie Fassler | Serious Crust
Makes one 10-inch cake and 1 1/2 cups caramel
- 2-3 small apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Butter a 10 inch springform pan, and line the bottom with parchment. In a bowl, combined the apple slices, 1 Tbsp of sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the remaining granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until light and fluffy. Add the ginger, milk, and extract. Then add the egg yolk and mix until combined. In a different bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, clove, and allspice. Whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in 2 batches, mixing thoroughly after each. It will be thick! Don’t worry.
- In yet another bowl whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. In about 4 batches, slowly and gently fold the egg whites into the batter, taking your time! As you do this, the batter will loosen and become a bit easier to work with. Spread the batter into the prepared springform pan and decoratively top with apple slices.
- Bake for 20-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for about 5 minutes before running a knife around the edge and removing the sides of the pan.
Miso Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons miso
- While the cake is baking, make the caramel. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Whisk to combine, then put over medium-high heat and don’t mix again! Bring to a boil and cook until it’s a deep amber color. Be careful – this can go from golden to VERY DARK quickly. Don’t take your eyes off it. Once the color is gold, remove from heat and slowly pour in the cream, whisking as you do. The first bit of cream will make the sugar froth and bubble up! It’s ok. Once the cream is in add the miso, and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce liberally over the cake. Slice and serve!