If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love quiche. It's the easiest fancy food I know how to make. This time I decided to mess with the format and substitute creamy coconut milk for heavy cream. I admit to using whatever cheese is on hand. I also decided to put the crust on the bottom of a square baking dish, which felt rather adventurous. —SEB Market BK
Makes: 9 servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
cup Coconut milk
cup Diced or shredded
cup Chopped mushrooms
cup Diced onions or
Diced strips of bacon
Stalks of asparagus, chopped
Store bought pie crust
- Separate pieces of chopped bacon and lay them flat in a frying pan. Scatter onions and mushrooms over the bacon bits and let cook over medium heat until bacon starts to brown, then stir. When onions soften, add the chopped asparagus or any other vegetables that you choose to add. Toss and then set aside to cool.
- Crack 6 eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the coconut milk and cheese. Stir until just blended and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
- I used a store bought crust to save time, and left it out to warm up to room temperature. After prepping the vegetables and making the egg mixture, take the dough and form a ball, then roll it out. I opted to make a square to line the bottom of a 12x12 pan, then dotted it with herbed butter.
- Lay the cooked vegetables and bacon on the pie crust. Pour the egg mixture over so that it covers everything evenly. Sprinkle parsley on top and pop into the oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into 9 squares. Serve each square on a bed of fresh greens.
- *I also used herbs and spices, like tarragon, thyme and parsley as well as kosher sea salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes for taste.