If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Anytime of the year is a good time for a hearty corn chowder! But it seems particularly tasty in the fall as we adjust to cool days and nights. This corn chowder is seasoned with crispy bacon, extra sharp cheddar cheese and then spiked with bits of sun-dried tomatoes. —shirley a byrd
- 7 slices of fried bacon, then chopped
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock, preferably unsalted
- 1 teaspoon salt, preferably Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or add fresh ground white pepper at serving)
- 1 large white potato (russet or Yukon gold), peel and chopped
- 2.5-3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 pounds frozen corn (white and/or yellow)
- 2 cups half-and-half milk
- 1 cup white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Optional: white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish
- Optional: If you like a little heat, add cayenne pepper to taste
- In a 5 quart stock pot, fry bacon to a brown crisp. Leaving about 1-2 tablespoons of the oil in the pot, remove bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel. Add onions and cook to almost translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Push onions and garlic to one side of the pot. Scoop out bacon grease but leaving about 1 tablespoons.
- Melt butter to just a few bubbles. Add flour and stir to create a roux.
- Add salt and pepper; chicken stock; and bring back onions and garlic back into the mixture. Add potatoes, bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn, sun-dried tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add half-and-half milk and cheese. Cook for about 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- While chowder is cooking its last 5 minutes, chop the bacon. Serve chowder in a soup bowl or soup cup. Garnish with bacon. For a more cheesier flavor, garnish with the additional shredded cheese.