If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here is a simple recipe I often make when I am entertaining. Refrigerator pickles are not only easy to make, but complement a wide variety of dishes and are suitable year-round. In a twist taught to me by a Korean friend, I add sesame seeds and garlic to mine. That said, this dish is thoroughly “American.” —Jonathan P. Katz
- 8-10 small Persian cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 cloves white garlic, diced
- 1 chili pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup hot water
- Slice the cucumbers very thinly. Place in the bottom of a deep non-reactive bowl or covered dish.
- Add the sesame seeds and garlic to the cucumbers, and mix thoroughly. Add the chili pepper if using.
- Mix the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and water together.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers.
- Cover the bowl and place into the refrigerator for 24 hours. The pickles keep for up to two weeks. Serve cold, with the liquid drained.