Author Notes: My favorite full meal mac & cheese casserole. This recipe is a modified version of Southern Celery Mac N Cheese by AlabamaNaNa. I have taken out the mushrooms and peppers, and added canned tomatoes and Italian sausage. —CJames
cups macaroni pasta
teaspoon salt or celery salt
cups shredded cheddar cheese
milliliters Canned diced or whole tomatoes
pound Italian sausage, sweet or spicy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until al dente; drain & set aside.
- Cook sausage in frying pan, set aside.
- Saute celery in butter until slightly tender. Add salt, flour and milk to mixture and cook down until creamy. Do not clean pan between next step and tomato step, you will use the same pay to gently cook the canned tomatoes.
- Mix cooked pasta, celery cream mixture and cheese in large bowl.
- Drain tomatoes, set aside liquid and freeze for future use. Using same pan that you cooked the celery/milk/flour mixture in, cook drained tomatoes on low-med heat to evaporate some excess liquid that didn't get drained out.
- Add reduced tomatoes to pasta/cheese/celery mixture. Add cooked sausages.
- Spoon entire mixture into one or more glass baking dishes (I greased mine lightly with butter). Cover with bread crumbs. Bake for 15 minutes until bread crumbs are lightly browned.