If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A soft spiced sponge cake soaked in a sweet concoction of evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream and egg nog. ** adapted from the Joy of Cooking. —Erica Hom
Makes 1 9x9 cake
For the sponge
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup milk
For the filling
- 3/4 cup egg nog
- 1/4 cup cream
- 12 ounces condensed milk
- 14 ounces evaporated milk
- Pre heat the oven to 350F and grease a 9X9 pan. In a medium bowl, sift together the four, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and cream of tarter ill it reaches soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in the sugar and beat till it reaches stiff peaks
- Add in the egg yolks and beat till combined. Then gradually add in the flour mixture a 1/4 cup at a time.
- Once evenly mixed, add in the milk and mix till just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan and make the milk mixture. In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg nog and heavy cream.
- With the cake in the pan poke it with a skewer every 1/2- 1 inches. Slowly pour the milk mixture all over the cake, making sure to saturate every inch.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. Top with freshly whipped cream (while together the heavy cream and sugar till it gets stiff) and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
More Great Recipes: