If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tell us about your recipe. —dee
- 1.5 cups yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 pint button mushrooms, halved and thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups dry lentils
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 4 classic gourmet burger buns
- 6 kale leaves, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a medium pot, bring water and lentils to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender. For whole lentils, cook time is typically 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a large pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and onions. Sautee for 3-5 minutes, follow with garlic and cook until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Reduce pan to medium-low. Once lentils are fully cooked, drain any excess liquid and add lentils to pan, along with tomatoes, tomato paste, seasoning, and mushrooms. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Prepare buns: Slice in half. Add to oven flat side down. Toast for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Place 1 kale leaf on the bottom half of your burger bun. Spoon over Sloppy Joe mix and add the top half of your bun. Repeat, serve, and enjoy!