The recipe for the spice blend can be found here: https://food52.com/recipes...
The two leavening agents Pottasche and Hirschhornsalz can be found online or a well sorted German grocery store around Christmas). —Vera Kern
- Makes 50
sugar (can be reduced by half)
Lebkuchen spice blend (see note)
potassium carbonate (food grade, in German it's called Pottasche)
salts of hartshorn/Ammonium Carbonate (in German Hirschhornsalz)
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 205C/400F.
- Dissolve the Pottasche and the Hirschhornsalz in 1 teaspoon milk in seperate small bowls. These two should not be mixed together before they go into the dough.
- Chop the candied citrus finely or run it through a blender.
- Mix all the ingredients but the Pottasche and the Hirschhornsalt and the wafers into a smooth dough.
- Add the Pottasche and knead for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the Hirschhornsalt and knead for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Spread the wafers out on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Wet your hands, take about one tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, set it on a wafer and spread it out so it covers the whole wafer and has the shape of a low dome.
- Once you have used up all the dough (or as much as you can fit on one baking tray), bake for about 14-17 minutes.
- When they have cooled down you can glaze them with chocolate or a sugar glaze.