Author Notes: The recipe for the spice blend can be found here: https://food52.com/recipes...
The two leavening agents Pottasche and Hirschhornsalz can be found online or a well sorted German grocery store around Christmas). —Vera Kern
grams egg whites
grams sugar (can be reduced by half)
grams almond flour
grams hazelnut flour
grams candid citrus
grams Lebkuchen spice blend (see note)
grams potassium carbonate (food grade, in German it's called Pottasche)
salts of hartshorn/Ammonium Carbonate (in German Hirschhornsalz)
- Preheat oven to 205C/400F.
- Dissolve the Pottasche and the Hirschhornsalz in 1 teaspoon milk in seperate small bowls. These two should not be mixed together before they go into the dough.
- Chop the candied citrus finely or run it through a blender.
- Mix all the ingredients but the Pottasche and the Hirschhornsalt and the wafers into a smooth dough.
- Add the Pottasche and knead for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the Hirschhornsalt and knead for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Spread the wafers out on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Wet your hands, take about one tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, set it on a wafer and spread it out so it covers the whole wafer and has the shape of a low dome.
- Once you have used up all the dough (or as much as you can fit on one baking tray), bake for about 14-17 minutes.
- When they have cooled down you can glaze them with chocolate or a sugar glaze.