Author Notes: I found this great recipe on Cultures for Health website. It is simple and delicious. I am adding to Food52 since this is my only 'recipe box'. Thanks to Cultures for Health for designing this recipe! —Samantha O'Byrne
cups Sourdough Starter
teaspoons Cayenne or other chili powder
teaspoons Baking Soda
teaspoon Baking Powder
cups Red Onion, chopped
Coconut oil or lard for frying
- In a medium bowl, combine sourdough starter, sugar, cornmeal, salt, and cayenne with a whisk. Sprinkle in baking soda and baking powder and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in chopped onions, stirring down the batter if needed.
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add approximately ½ inch of fat for frying.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoonful of batter into the fat, flattening it out with the back of the spoon to create an even patty. Repeat to fill pan.
- Fry until crisp and golden brown underneath, about 4-7 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until deep brown.
- Remove with a slotted spatula. Place on a plate and cool a few minutes before serving. Repeat with remaining batter, adding additional fat to the pan as needed.
- Serve fritters while still warm, salting to taste.