If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Let's be frank: Like every other "special" or "secret sauce"—this is doctored-up thousand island dressing. Still, you can't beat it on a cheeseburger. Or with French fries. Or tater tots! I like mincing bread-and-butter pickles—as opposed to sweet relish—to cut down on the sweetness. You could take that a step further and swap in sour gherkins. If you want to amp up the smokiness, use a chipotle hot sauce.
Featured In: What Is Secret Sauce, Anyway? Is It Special Sauce? —Emma Laperruque
Makes 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dijon
- 2 tablespoons minced bread-and-butter pickles
- 1 teaspoon caper brine (or white or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, preferably Colman's
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Store in the fridge. Check your mayonnaise's expiration date to gauge how long it'll be good for!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!