If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother should have received a Nobel prize for whipping up birthday treats at the drop of a hat. Supplying thirty second-graders with trays of marshmallow treats for a certain girl’s birthday was no easy task. I don’t know how she overcame the pressure. But every year she would save my elementary school reputation with butter, marshmallows and Rice Krispie® cereal mixed together and served in delicious squares. Well, with these Champagne Marshmallow Treats, I’m saving my thirty-something reputation by adding champagne. These marshmallow treats are great for any impromptu party or a certain birthday celebration where a cake just won’t do.
Excerpted from Modern Comfort Cooking by Lauren Grier, Page Street Publishing 2017. Photo credit: Lauren Grier —Food52
Makes 8 to 10 treats
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) dry champagne
- 6 cups (318 g) mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups (192 g) crisped rice cereal
- Line a 9 x 9-inch (23 x 23-cm) baking dish with foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a large skillet preheated to medium heat, melt the butter. Add the champagne, stir and let it simmer for about minute. Next, add the marshmallows, vanilla extract and kosher salt. Stir the marshmallows until completely melted, or about 4 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add-in the cereal. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish and let it cool completely before slicing it and serving!
- Variation: Throw caution to the wind and try these treats with rosé or white wine!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!