Author Notes: Velvety smooth and with a hint of heat, this beautiful bright-yellow soup is delicious, healthy, and super easy to make! Carrots are a rich source of vitamin A and ginger, cinnamon and peppercorns are good for circulation and digestion.
There is a variation to this soup which I like a lot. Substitute some of the carrots with sweet potatoes and beets. Ratio of 40% carrots, 40% sweet potatoes, and 20% beets works well, but don’t be too concerned about the math and experiment according to your own tastes. —Larisa Litvin
tablespoons Ghee (or Coconut Oil for a vegan version)
cups Onion, chopped
teaspoons Fresh Ginger, chopped
cups Carrots, chopped
teaspoons Salt or to taste
bunch Parsley, chopped
- Heat the ghee (or coconut oil) in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and carrots and sauté frequently stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the water, salt, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and some or most of peppercorns, according to your taste.
- In a blender puree until very smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and, if needed, reheat it over medium heat until hot.
- Serve with fresh parsley leaves.