If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This light chickpea and kale soup has a surprising ingredient: tea! —Alannah | Kale Mary
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon white miso powder (I use soy-free miso made from chickpeas)
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups rooibos tea
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tuscan kale leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, to serve
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes, to serve
- Heat some oil in a saucepan and add brown onion. Cook 3-4 minutes until starting to brown. Add garlic and cook a further 2 minutes before adding the chopped celery.
- Once celery softens and becomes fragrant, add cumin, paprika and white miso, and stir to combine.
- Add chickpeas, stock, tea and bay leaf. Bring to the boil then simmer for around 10-15 minutes.
- Next, add the kale, salt and pepper, lemon juice and zest and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve in bowls and drizzle with a light olive oil and some nutritional yeast flakes.