If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pressure Cooker Pork Carnitas are your new favorite filling for burritos, tacos, or taco bowls. Crispy edges, tangy citrus and tasty spices, and smoky flavors are yours with your pressure cooker or Instant Pot. —birdseedkitchen.com
- 1 piece bacon
- 3.5 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 medium white onion
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt and black pepper
- Cut pork shoulder into 8 pieces. Season on all sides with salt and black pepper.
- In a pressure cooker over medium-low heat, render diced bacon until brown and crisp. Add pork pieces to pressure cooker. Brown on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic, and bay leaf to pressure cooker.
- Stir together orange and lime juice, chicken stock, cumin, coriander, chipotle, cinnamon, and oregano. Add to pressure cooker.
- Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- When pressure has released, open pressure cooker. With a slotted spoon, remove pork and place in a bowl. Discard bay leaf.
- Place pressure cooker containing remaining juices over medium heat and boil gently to reduce and concentrate the liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the pork with two forks, or with your fingers.
- In a wide skillet, heat 1 tbsp canola oil over medium-high heat. Add shredded pork, and fry until it begins to crisp along the edges, turning occasionally.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of reduced cooking liquid, and add it to the pork in the skillet. Remove from heat.
- Serve with rice (try Mexican Cauliflower Rice!), chopped avocado, and Quick Pickled Red Onions.