If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Colorful, crunchy, and convenient, these Quick Pickled Red Onions take about ten minutes to prepare, and last for a month in the refrigerator. They are a piquant accompaniment to pork, a brilliant sandwich topping, or just the thing to brighten up a simple plate of scrambled eggs. —birdseedkitchen.com
- 1 large red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light amber agave nectar
- Slice onion into thin half-moons, about 1/8 inch thick. Pack into a quart-sized Mason jar or other non-reactive container with a tight-fitting lid.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine remaining ingredients. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Pour brine over onions in jar. Close the lid, and gently shake the jar to distribute the brine with the onions. If necessary, pack onions down with a spoon so they are submerged in brine.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour, or overnight, before serving. Store for about a month in the refrigerator.