If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These speedy wraps fly in the face of the "low and slow" barbecue mantra. Using chicken instead of a tough cut of pork means you get that same satisfying sweet and tangy flavor and fork-tender texture in minutes instead of hours. This recipe is an excerpt from our partner Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's new cookbook, Whole30 Fast & Easy, by Melissa Hartwig. —Food52
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup packaged shredded carrots or 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 Bibb or romaine lettuce leaves
- Place the chicken in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let cool, slightly. Discard the water in the pan and wipe dry with paper towels. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the pan and stir in the barbecue sauce. Cook over medium heat until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the carrots, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve the BBQ chicken and some of the shredded carrot mixture in the lettuce leaves.