Author Notes: One of my favorite things about living in California is the abundance of avocados. Growing up in my hometown in Michigan, avocados were a rarity. Now, I feel spoiled with them! When I have a craving for avocado, I head over to my friend Sarah’s backyard to raid her avocado tree that boasts thousands of the fruit each year. It’s amazing. This recipe is a simple upgrade to your standard avocado toast. The crisp of the kale and the richness of the avocado create a delightfully filling, healthy meal.
Featured in: 3 Simple (and Colorful) Spruce-Ups for Plain Old Toast, —Kara Elise
Makes: 1 slice
large slice good bread, I’m using a seedy grain bread from a local baker
cup chopped kale
tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt + pepper
Seasoning of your choice
- Begin by crisping your kale. This can be done in a cast iron skillet on high heat with a bit of olive oil and salt. Sauté the kale until it begins to brown. Alternatively, you can crisp the kale in the oven at 450 ̊F for 12-15 minutes with olive oil and salt.
- Whisk your tahini with a dash of sea salt and 1-2 teaspoons water until it becomes a drizzling consistency.
- Next, toast your bread. Pile your toast high with crispy kale. Remove the pit from your avocado, slice thinly, remove with a spoon, and place on top of the kale. Drizzle the toast with your tahini sauce and top with extra seasoning, sea salt, and pepper!
- TIP: You can also crisp your kale in a toaster oven! Spritz your kale leaves with a few sprays of olive or coconut oil and toast for 6-8 minutes, or until golden.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!