If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The national dish of Uzbekistan made easy in the Instant Pot (or stovetop pressure cooker). It is a favorite dish for the fall or winter. I like to serve this with cacik (a turkish yogurt dip) and a simple salad. —Desert Cooking
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil or Neutral Cooking Oil
- 1 pound Beef or Lamb Stew Meat
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 4-5 Carrots, julienned
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 teaspoons Salt, Divided
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Dried Currents
- 2 cups Rice, rinsed
- 1 Head of Garlic
- Using the "Sauté" mode brown the meat in the Instant Pot with the olive oil.
- Once the meat is browned, add the chopped onions and cook until softened (3-5 min). Then add the carrots, cumin, paprika, 1-1.5 teaspoon of salt, dried currants, and the bay leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes, until carrots are softened.
- Add enough water to cover the meat and vegetables.
- Press the "Off" button, then press "Manual" and set the time for 45 minutes on high pressure.
- After 45 minutes, release the pressure.
- Add the 2 cups of rice evenly over the top of the dish, the rice should be covered by the cooking water and no extra water should be needed.
- Evenly distribute 1.5 teaspoons of salt across the rice
- Press the whole garlic head into the middle of the pot, so it is covered by the water/rice.
- Press the "Off" button, then press "Rice" and set the time to 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, release the pressure and take off the lid. Allow the setting to change to "Keep Warm".
- Using the handle of a spatula or stir spoon, poke multiple large holes all the way to the bottom of the pot. This will allow the extra water to evaporate.
- Allow pot to stay on "Keep warm" for 15-20 minutes, or until all the water is evaporated.
- Remove garlic head and bay leaves.
- Serve with salted plain yogurt or cacik (turkish yogurt dip).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hands-Off Recipe