Author Notes: To me, there is nothing more comforting in the winter time than roasted yams. My parents would always make these, and the aroma that would fill our house was just heavenly! And really, there's nothing to these other than just a bit of time. —Merna
yams or sweet potatoes
powdered cinnamon (optional)
vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Obtain your yams. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- Set your oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the whole yams on the sheet (no need to peel or poke holes or anything!). Set the baking sheet in the oven (no need to wait for the oven to preheat either)
- Set the oven timer to 1 hour. The cook time varies depending on the yam size, but 1 hour is typically a good marker. The heavenly aroma will soon fill your home. To check on these after the 1 hr cook time, take a fork and poke the flesh of the thickest yam. If it is still hard, allow to cook longer. If the flesh is soft, then shut the oven off. i typically leave the yams in the oven after i shut it off for some additional love.
- To serve: these may be eaten hot or cold to your liking, but i love them hot (you may microwave them if you'd like). Cut the skin and sprinkle some cinnamon. If you'd like to get fancy, scoop the flesh into a bowl and top with some vanilla ice cream-- nothing beats the combination of a hot and cold dessert!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hands-Off Recipe