If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lentils on New Year's Day brings luck!
You would never guess these lentils are vegan, they are delicious and have a meaty quality. —Sadassa_Ulna
cup vegetable oil, olive or sunflower, etc.
cup diced carrots
cup diced onions
cup diced celery
cups COOKED LENTILS, DRAINED *
teaspoons dried ground sage
teaspoons dried thyme
tablespoons soy sauce
tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
salt & ground black pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2
cups water as necessary
- Heat the oil in a very large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions and celery; cook an additional 8-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft.
- Lower heat to medium-low. Add the lentils and 1/4 cup water. Add the soy sauce and vinegar. Add more water if necessary to get a porridge-like consistency
- Add the sage and thyme and stir well. Cook another few minutes, stirring occasionally; add salt to taste. Enjoy!
* If you are starting with DRIED BLACK LENTILS
cup dried black lentils
- Pick through lentils to make sure there are no tiny stones or other non-lentil objects.
- Put one cup lentils in a saucepan and cover with 3-1/4 cups cool water, bring to a boil. Put a lid on the pot and turn off heat.
- LET SIT FOR AN HOUR. Remove lid and bring to a low simmer; cook as necessary until lentils are soft enough to eat, approximately 5-15 minutes.